Thursday 7 February 2013

scrambled lemon tofu



I love going out for breakfast. I can list a handful of places we go on a semi regular basis but I tend to get stuck ordering the same things over and over without getting bored.
This dish is an attempt at recreating a meal I used to get at a local place called Rosey's a while ago. But the menu has changed multiple times since and although it still has lots of delicious options (still served with the amazing Mylor Bakery bread) I still crave their scrambled tofu.
Since I can't get someone to make it for me anymore I have been playing around making it at home. The main aspect I really like about this is the lemon, don't be shy with the juice, it should be tangy. 
Ingredients (serves 2)

250grms firm tofu (a dry style I use the brand Blue Lotus)
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp of chili powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
juice of 1 lemon 
1/4 cup chopped rocket
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds

cherry tomatoes  (1 punnet)

spinach (4 cups)


Start by placing the tomatoes on a baking tray in a medium oven (about 180) for 15 minutes or until well roasted. 
Chop and wash the spinach well and set to one side.
To make the scrambled tofu crumble with your hands the tofu into a bowl.  Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the tofu, chili powder, turmeric and salt and stir well to combine. Add lemon juice and pumpkin seeds and mix well. Remove from heat when looks dry and fluffy. Pour back into the bowl. Quickly wipe pan and place a tbsp of olive oil in pan and throw in the spinach. Cook quickly over a medium-high heat until wilted. 
Place some tomatoes, spinach and tofu on a plate with or without some toast as you prefer. Top with your favorite hot sauce and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment