Friday 18 January 2013

Australia Day (vego style)



 Australia day (January 26th) means so many things to different people. Some people don't see it as anything other than a day off work. Some people find the idea of the day (also known as "invasion day" in Australia) really offensive. For me it has always been about listening to the Hottest 100 on Triple J and catching up with friends for a BBQ and a swim. This year I want to have a quiet BBQ and head down to the beach in the afternoon. I'm thinking of cooking up a tasty vego spread for some lucky people, whoever they may be, I haven't worked that bit out yet! 
For those of you who celebrate (or commiserate) Australia Day with a BBQ I have put together a few ideas for you to get your taste buds going... 
 
For the BBQ: 
  • If you eat cheese these look amazing... maybe you could use salty crusted tempeh instead? 

Don't forget the salad: 

At a BBQ I am just as excited (if not more) about the salads. Here are three awesome ones from around the web. 


I could keep going but I'm sure you have some delicious ideas bubbling away by now. So what do you think you will do this Australia Day? got any great cooking ideas? I'd love to hear!

P.s I try not to get too preachy on this blog. I don't want this to be a place for me going on about how everyone should be a vegetarian but I do want to share the video below with you. If you live in Australia you would have seen the Australia Day meat advertisements  starting up on TV. The lamb ones are the ones I find the most distressing (I had a pet lamb as a kid.... called Wellington). The video below is a bit of a spoof on the meat ones, encouraging people to have a vego BBQ this Australia Day. If only it made it on prime time TV like the lamb advertisement!


Check out the website for the campaign and maybe think about sparing the animals this Australia Day and having a vego day.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment