Sunday 2 September 2012

Korean inspired chickpea wraps


Before I became a vegetarian I really loved my sister-in-laws bulgogi. For those of you not familiar with Korean food, bulgogi is a type of Korean BBQ meat which is eaten wrapped in a lettuce leaf with rice and Korean chilli sauce. Korean food is amazing, I cant get enough. I love the strong flavors combined with freshness. There is not a lot of vegeterian options in Korean food but it is easily adaptable when you are cooking at home. 
A few years ago my brother married his wife in South Korea. Of course nearly the entire family took the opportunity to go over be there for the wedding, any excuse for a holiday. South Korea was a really interesting place to travel, but one thing that really stood out for me was the food. The food varied from place to place but it was hands down some of the best (and cheapest) food I have ever had. If you are looking for a travel destination, I would highly recommend it.... but back to the food. 
Since becoming a vegetarian I don't crave the meat at all, but I still love the combination of something tasty wrapped in a fresh lettuce leaf. I wanted something tasty and filling but not a meat substitute. I decided to make a chickpea/ dill mix, I was aiming for something creamy but not too rich. 
So what did the Koreans think of the wraps? my sister-in-law gave them the tick of approval and my 9 year-old niece decided they were "delicious" and ate about five. I would say they approved.





Ingredients

2 x tins of chickpeas
2 x spring onions diced
2 x dill pickles diced
2 x tbsp fresh dill finely diced
1 x tbsp olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon 

salt and pepper to taste 

1 x cos lettuces 

Process

Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place in a large bowl, using a potato masher break up the chickpeas.  Finely dice spring onions, pickles and fresh dill. Mix into chickpeas. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. 

Take a lettuce leaf, place 2 x tbsp of chickpea mix on the leaf and roll up. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment